Emerging City and National Capital
At 8:17am on October 25th 1958 the Jackson Building, on the corner of Bank and Slater, was severely damaged by an explosion caused by a natural gas leak in the building across the street.
The City of Ottawa now extends to Bayview Road.
The Federal government decides to create the Ottawa Improvement Commission (OIC). The priority of OIC is to clean up the banks of the Rideau Canal that are cluttered with warehouses, sheds, lumber yards and piles of construction material. They also begin the park system by taking over the maintenance of Rockcliffe Park from the City and envisagethe creation of boulevards and scenic parkways. After the rubble is cleared from along the banks of the Canal, part of the present Queen Elizabeth Driveway is constructed as the first of the scenic drives.
The first electric street railway in Ottawa is established by Thomas Ahearn and Warren Y. Soper and introduced by the Ottawa Electric Co. The official opening of the Ottawa Electric Street Railway is July 29.
The Ottawa Electric Co. eventually amalgamates with the Ottawa City Passenger Railway Co. in 1893, which brings an end to horse-drawn public transportation. The electric street car runs until May 1 1959.
Stewarton, Rochesterville, Mount Sherwood, Orangeville are annexed by Ottawa.