In 1827, Colonel By resigned his position of first magistrate with municipal powers for the new community of Bytown, and petitioned the governor to appoint five magistrates for life to administer the town’s affairs, including law enforcement. In due course, Colonel By was succeeded by Captain Andrew Wilson, with others added to the bench soon afterwards [Legget 1972, Craske 1992]. In 1837, the magistrates of the village were D.R. McNab, G.W. Baker, Simon Fraser and Daniel Fisher; all four were justices of the peace [Hill 1922a].