In 1826, Colonel By built three barracks to house his soldiers on the hill in Upper Town [Kenny 1901b]. These soldiers belonged to two corps of Sappers and Miners [Billings 1909]. The military barracks were built of stone on the eastern slope of Barrack hill [Haig 1975]. All three barracks were located within a stockade surrounded by a fence of cedar pickets, with an entrance gate and a guard house at the eastern end. The sentry on duty stood across the road from the guard house [Cluff 1922, Blyth 1925]. In 1827, civilian barracks were erected by the Imperial government on Rideau street in Lower Town for the accommodation of the canal workers [IHACC]; they consisted of two frame buildings, facing each other, near George street [Kenny 1901b].